Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Fight, A Fight!!!

Last night at the city council meeting we won and the 2 story homes in our back yard have even a bigger challenge to overcome. After we got the verdict and were walking out of the City Planning room, the developer "Joby" came up and and said that he was going to make a wall six feet from our property line that was 6 foot high and build all of his buildings 35 foot high instead of the 28 foot high....and basically destroy our precious view. He has every right to do these things to us just to be mean if he wants to. Even without getting the zoning changed he has the right to build a block wall on his property and destroy our view. Needless to say he was upset...and he let us know. For the first time I think I have seen someone desperate....someone near the limits of their self-control. He said a lot of things but a few things he said hit me to the core. He is trying to provide for his family just like I am....and my success is his loss. It sounded like he has most of his livelihood riding on this property and now he owns a 2.5 million dollar piece of clay. I really don't know how he felt but I could imagine how it would be to go home to my wife and try to explain how my big idea is now worthless. I know that everyone in construction in St. George are feeling the stresses from the economy much more than I am. After talking to him, I do feel I understand more of what he is trying to do and I would rather be working with him than against him. I think that I am convinced that the buildings would not effect our views and really the only concern that I still have now is the type of buildings and the type of people that will be living in them.

2 comments:

walkerbunch said...

Anji,
I'm so glad that you guys have a blog! You're little guy is adorable. Congratulations. Keep in touch. Love, Kel

Marylynn Edwards Paul said...

Ryan, Thanks for sharing. Perspective is what helps us learn. I love your blog. Marylynn